From the brand that rocks the world, a career that rocks yours!
POSITION: Executive Chef
PROPERTY: Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Lake Tahoe
DEPARTMENT: Food Administration
REPORTS TO: Director of Non-Gaming Operations
The incumbent in this position is responsible for directing the preparation and ordering of all foods in each restaurant, dining room, and kitchen operated by the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Lake Tahoe, ensuring that all foods are of the highest quality and that all operations are efficient, effective, and profitable.
(The following statements are intended as general illustrations of the work in this job class and are not all-inclusive for specific positions.)
- Establish and maintain department objectives, standards, guidelines, and budget to ensure proper management of department; monitors and evaluates staffing levels and food purchasing, production, and inventory in order to control costs and waste.
- Hire, train, motivate, evaluate, and manage staff to ensure that employees receive adequate guidance and resources to accomplish established objectives.
- Develop strategic buying practice and works with purchasing department to ensure best price and quality for foods purchased.
- Evaluate current needs, past experiences, and forecasted business conditions in order to make decisions and recommendations for best allocation of resources among restaurant outlets to achieve maximum financial returns and guest service levels.
- Coordinate with Room Chefs to maintain set cooking techniques and recipes; assesses ingredient cost and cooking/serving efficiency; tests for taste satisfaction; documents in recipe book; photographs new food items for standard presentation style to develop new menu items for implementation.
- Maintain ultimate cleanliness of all restaurant kitchen areas; makes decisions for necessary corrective action in order to maintain company and health department standards and avoid risk of citation and bad press.
- Work with Director of Non-Gaming Operations to analyze food costs and forecast business trends in order to make recommendations for revision of menu prices that will most appropriately meet company goals.
Must have ability to:
- Operate in a working environment that is subject to varying levels of cold, heat, and noise. Incumbents are at times subjected to hazards such as burns and the dangers associated with heavy duty cutlery.
- Communicate effectively at all times, with all levels of employees.
- Observe and direct actions of subordinates and to inspect any areas for which responsible.
- Review and comprehend all necessary documentation.
- Use the equipment associated with the position, including but not limited to knives and heavy duty cutlery.
- Effectively and efficiently move around kitchen and restaurant areas.
- Work physical in nature and requires physical mobility, including but not limited to bending, carrying, climbing, reaching, and twisting. These actions are required in order to monitor food preparation and inspect restaurant kitchen areas.
- Prepare all varieties of meat including veal, pork, beef, lamb, poultry, game and seafood.
- Develop and prepare innovative and creative culinary items.
Knowledge of and ability to prepare stocks, soups and base sauces. Demonstrated organizational skills, budgeting experience, and full understanding of financial reports. Previous supervisory experience. Culinary knowledge in international cuisine important. These skills and abilities are typically acquired through fifteen to twenty years of food industry experience with at least ten years in a supervisory or management capacity, with five years experience as an Executive Chef in a multi-outlet operation preferred. Completion of a high school degree or equivalent, with completion of trade college, culinary institution or recognized apprenticeship preferred.
REGULATORY AND COMPLIANCE RESPONSIBILITIES
In addition to the other duties described herein, each and every employee has the following responsibilities related to compliance with laws and regulations:
- Attend required training sessions offered by the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Lake Tahoe.
- Perform the duties described in compliance with local laws and regulations.
- Take the necessary steps to ensure minors are not allowed to gamble or loiter in gambling areas, drink alcoholic beverages, or purchase tobacco.
- Have knowledge of the ordinances, regulations, laws, policies, and procedures relating to the employee’s department.
- Consult Internal Control Procedures and Policy Manuals for guidance.
- Report illegal activity to Security or the appropriate levels of Management.
The Hard Rock Casino Lake Tahoe-- System of Internal Control
Everyone has a part in the internal control system at Hard Rock Casino. The roles vary depending upon what level of responsibility and the nature of involvement by the individual. Hard Rock Casino’ system of internal control integrates the activities, plans, attitudes, policies, skills and efforts of its associates working together to provide reasonable assurance that Hard Rock Casino will achieve its objectives and mission. Each Team Member is responsible for adhering to those performance programs, policies, procedures, guidelines and internal control standards established to guide the operation of Hard Rock Casino